En Español >>
Give kids a boost with Arizona Tax Credit contributions
You can help Tucson students get the most out of school years by making contributions through Arizona's tax-credit programs. Contributing is easy, and the impact is immense.
Your tax credit contribution gives kids an extra chance to stay in school, learn more and do better in their classes. Kids who play sports in school are more likely to stay in school and succeed academically. Kids who participate in fine arts--in programs in art and music--actually do better in basic academic subjects, including math! It's also true that kids can learn a lot on extracurricular field trips.
Best of all, in Arizona, you get your tax credit contribution back, subject to the limits of your tax liability, when you participate now and then file your tax return. Please consult your tax professional for more information.
For school donations, you can specify where you want your money to go. Choose a school, a program, even an individual student's educational trip or sports fee. You pick the programs and schools that are important to you.
Here's how the credits work:
- For the public schools credit, you choose to pay some of the state income tax you owe directly to a TUSD school. Married couples filing jointly can contribute up to $400, and individuals can contribute up to $200.
- To further help children of TUSD, you can direct a portion of your state income to the Charitable Tax Credit through a contribution to the Education Enrichment Foundation, which helps Tucson children succeed in school. The contribution maximums are the same, and you don't have to choose between the two. As long as you have enough tax liability, you can contribute to both.
You can do both! AZ Public School Tax Credit and Charitable Tax Credit to EEF
Donations to the Educational Enrichment Foundation help TUSD students and teachers through grants and programs that are aimed at covering basic needs and helping pay extra fees. For example, EEF pays for books and bus passes and provides clothes and shoes for at-risk young people.
Need To Know
- Contributions postmarked January 1, 2016-April 18, 2016 may be claimed on either your 2015 or 2016 taxes--you choose!
- You can make your public school contribution to the TUSD School of your choice by credit card online or take or mail your payment directly to a school (see the printable school address list for school locations). You can contribute all at once, or in smaller amounts over time.
- You get every penny back when you file your state return either as a reduction in your tax bill or added to your refund. (All tax matters are subject to the limits of your tax liability. Please consult your tax professional for more information.)