At Maldonado Elementary we offer GATE Cluster Services - Gifted instruction provided in grade levels 1st -5th. Identified GATE students are “clustered” in open access classrooms. In addition, pull-out itinerant GATE services are 90 minutes per week and provide enriched instruction in small-group settings. Kindergarten and 1st grade receive whole class lessons, 2nd - 5th grades receive pull out services for students who have qualified for the GATE program based on GATE testing. The lessons are created to enrich our curriculum with literature and a thinking skills program to develop higher level thinking. The Teacher will incorporate lessons that focus on divergent, convergent, visual, and evaluative thinking. The students will learn to elaborate on their own ideas and those of others while utilizing rich vocabulary.
We recognize that gifted students have special educational needs that should be met within the context of educating the whole child through a variety of services and options.
The role of the Gifted Education program is to:
• Identify the particular abilities and needs of these students.
• Challenge students functioning at the highest level of ability.
• Encourage underachieving students who are capable of the highest performance.
• Promote higher level creative and productive thinking skills throughout the district.
• Promote creative or productive achievement.
The District is committed to providing all students enrolled at the District with equal access to the District’s Gifted and Talented Education program.