- The medication must be ordered for your child by a primary care provider licensed to prescribe in Arizona.
- All medications (including inhaler) need to be provided in the original prescription bottle/box with a pharmacy label including:
- Student's name
- Name of medication
- Amount to be given
- Time to be given
- Name of the prescriber
Please ask the pharmacist to prepare an extra prescription container for school use. If the medication is sent to school in other types of containers, the health office staff are not allowed to administer the medication and the parent will be called.
- A medication permit (in PDF) must be completed and signed by the parent or guardian before the medication can be given at school.
- No student is permitted to take medication independently in the Health Office or elsewhere on campus. Inhalers can be carried by a student.
- The health office staff must be notified of any change in medication for your student.
- Health office staff may only administer what the label directs; therefore, be sure to bring in a new bottle, a note from the physician, or have the physician FAX the changes to the school.
- Please notify School Health Staff several days in advance of a field trip.
School and State Medical Policy advise against sending medications with children to avoid accidental breaking of bottles or other children taking the medication. Medication must be transported to and from school by the parent or guardian or adult designated by the parent or guardian (i.e., bus driver).
Board Policy JLCD - Administering Medicines to Students (in PDF)