Bioscience students use multiple modern molecular lab techniques such as micro pipetting, DNA extraction, DNA amplification and visualization of DNA on electrophoresis gels to investigate authentic research questions. Classes may collaborate with a research lab to do authentic research-based projects, acquire skills needed to pursue higher education and to enter industry workforce in careers related to Bioscience. This is a Pima JTED enhanced program and college credit may be available.
CTE Program- Health and Bioscience
- Identify specific biological/biohazardous/chemical materials, understand and respond to safety signs and symbols, and distinguish the characteristics of biosafety levels
- Work in a modern lab to test hypotheses utilizing appropriate experimental design (distinguish between controls and variables). Collect, record, and analyze appropriate data, and support your conclusions based on evidence. Earn industry recognized certifications and possibly college credit at some sites.
- Dental Assisting 1, 2 – Grade 10-11
This first-year course will provide instruction based on the basic skills essential to working successfully with patients and co-workers in dental offices and clinics. Including study skills, vital signs, communication in the dental environment, job entry skills. In addition, student will be an introduced to the principles and techniques of dental assisting as well as anatomy, physiology, microbiology, oral pathology, and nutrition relating to dental health.
- Dental Assisting 3, 4 – Grade 12
This second-year course will provide more extensive instruction on the principles and techniques of dental assisting. Includes tooth morphology of human dentition, hand and rotary dental instruments, instruments used in various operative procedures, and chairside procedures. In addition, principles of dental radiography as a diagnostic aid, Including radiation protection and biology. Also, clinic experience in exposing, processing, mounting, and interpreting radiographs on mannequins using a variety of radiographic techniques.
Must have completed Dental Assisting 1 & 2
Offered at Santa Rita High School
Home Health Aide
- In this course, students explore health related and medical careers. This is a prerequisite for all JTED Central Healthcare Pathway programs.
- Upon successful completion, the following pathways are offered: Junior: Certified Caregiver, Health Information Management (JTED Central Campus Hybrid Class) Medical Assisting, EMT, Physical Therapy Tech and LNA. Sophomore: Pathway to Health Information Management (JTED Central Campus Hybrid Class)
- This is a Pima JTED enhanced course. This course has extended day offerings.
Pharmacy Support Services
- Learn how to collect pertinent information from patients/customers for the pharmacist. Screen prescription/medication orders for completeness and authenticity using first-person and electronic systems. Prepare medications for distribution in accordance with the Arizona State Board of Pharmacy laws and regulations. Differentiate between the use and side effects of prescription and non-prescription medications used to treat common diseases. Work beside a certified pharmacist in a clinical, medical or retail setting. Earn industry recognized certifications and possibly college credit at some sites.
Offered at Cholla High School
Sports Medicine & Rehabilitation Services
- Work with athletes, coaches, and professionals to apply psychology and motivation techniques to athletic training and physical fitness. Use taping techniques and protective equipment to prevent, support, or treat sports injuries, and employ techniques that can be used to increase strength, mobility, and endurance. Identify situations when emergency treatment is needed, perform standard first aid skills, and select the needed transport procedures for the injury and setting. Apply selected therapy modalities for athletes in accordance with needed treatment, and report on the response to treatment. Earn industry recognized certifications and possibly college credit at some sites.
Information about Tucson Unified's Health and Bioscience CTE programs for high school students.
article, 2022-2023, school, tucson, career and technical education, CTE, high school, health, bioscience