- The Language Acquisition Department seeks to create a culture of support in the Tucson Unified School district that ensures Language Learners in every school are guaranteed a high quality and equitable education.
- The Tucson Unified School District (TUSD) with over a hundred different languages represented recognizes the inherent linguistic and cultural diversity of its students, and the rich educational resource that such diversity represents. Brain research has confirmed what most educators have known instinctively for centuries: children who develop fluency in more than one language derive significant cognitive and academic advantages.
- Within that context, we are committed to respecting the linguistic heritage of students and honoring the community’s belief in multi-lingual education.
- Our services support both the acquisition of the English language by non-native speakers of English and the acquisition of world languages.
Language Education Policy and Program Options (Grades K-12)
All students have a right to the opportunity to develop a full command of the English language and to be provided at their local school with an English language public education and as permitted by law, to develop skills in the use of other languages. English Language Learners (ELLs) shall be educated through Structured English Immersion (SEI). All students, however, whose parents have requested and received approval for waivers shall have their children taught through bilingual education techniques or other generally approved methodologies.
- Swahili/Kirundi Interpreter/Translator – Jean Marie Habimana
- Somali Interpreter/Translator – Amina Saleh
- Vietnamese Interpreter/Translator – Hai Vu
- Two Way Dual Language Itinerant Teacher
- Administrative Assistant – Liz Taggart
- Meaningful Access Fax: 520-225-4805