Utterback Middle School

Header Right

History

Madge UtterbackUtterback opened its doors in 1959. The school is named after Madge Utterback who taught vocal music at Tucson High School for 33 years. In 1978 Utterback became one of the schools under the court ordered desegregation plan which changed the elementary schools feeding into Utterback. In order to be in compliance with the desegregation plan and attract students to the school, the administration and faculty researched and presented the district leaders with a proposal to add the magnet focus of creative and performing arts. The proposal was accepted and in the school year 1982-83 Utterback became a Fine Arts magnet school. The school went through an $8 million dollar rebuild starting in 1989 to make the facilities appropriate to the magnet focus. In addition to remodeling and refurbishing the existing structure, some of the additions were a 400 seat theater, 2 dance studios, 3 art rooms, a media center, a band room and an orchestra room, both with rehearsal spaces, a black box theater, and expanded science rooms. Prior to 1993-94 Utterback served only 7th and 8th grade, that school year saw the arrival of the first 6th grade class. The Utterback community has continued to grow and change as the world has changed and now is looking forward to the future and the move toward interdisciplinary, project-based, fine arts focused instruction.

Terms Of Use | Privacy Statement | | Login
Copyright 2020 by SchoolDesk